The best blogging software is now become even better! WordPress takes another lead by releasing their famous blogging software to another whole new version! The WordPress 2.1 Ella.
Although there aren’t much changes you can see from the blog main page, but you will see it in the back end part, the admin panel. First is the dashboard, the RSS feeds are now instantly load in the background. They retouched the admin panel design, not much, but enough to make you feel that u had upgraded your WordPress.
The new rich text editor had improved a lot since the last major release, now you can switch between WYSIWYG mode and code editing mode on the fly while you are posting, this is extremely useful when you want to have a glimpse on how your post looks like before saving it, so i would like to recommend enable the visual editor at Your Profile.
I had updated almost all of my plugins for this new release, however there are still some plugins that’s not supported in this new version, i have to give up my all time favorite IImage Browser because the button doesn’t show up in the editor, in fact most of the plugins button doesn’t show up there, including the AdSense Deluxe drop down menu. Other plugins like wpPaginate also doesn’t run well in WordPress 2.1, but i replace it with WP-PageNavi.
There are a lot of changes in WordPress 2.1, and here are some of them, quoted from WordPress Blog:
- Autosave makes sure you never lose a post again.
- Our new tabbed editor allows you to switch between WYSIWYG and code editing instantly while writing a post.
- The lossless XML import and export makes it easy for you to move your content between WordPress blogs.
- Our completely redone visual editor also now includes spell checking.
- New search engine privacy option allows you take you to indicate your blog shouldn’t ping or be indexed by search engines like Google.
- You can set any “page” to be the front page of your site, and put the latest posts somewhere else, making it much easier to use WordPress as a content management system.
- Much more efficient database code, faster than previous versions. Domas Mituzas from MySQL went over all our queries with a fine-toothed comb.
- Links in your blogroll now support sub-categories and you can add categories on the fly.
- Redesigned login screen from the Shuttle project.
- More AJAX to make custom fields, moderation, deletions, and more all faster. My favorite is the comments page, which new lets you approve or unapprove things instantly.
- Pages can now be drafts, or private.
- Our admin has been refreshed to load faster and be more visually consistent.
- The dashboard now instantly and brings RSS feeds asynchronously in the background.
- Comment feeds now include all the comments, not just the last 10.
- Better internationalization and support for right-to-left languages.
- The upload manager lets you easily manage all your uploads pictures, video, and audio.
- A new version of the Akismet plugin is bundled.
You can download WordPress 2.1 at here.