Ever though of creating a Safely Remove Hardware icon on your desktop? You may ask why because the icon will usually appear at the taskbar, but for some odd reason, mine will not always appear, so sometime i have no other choice but to pull the USB stick right away. I don’t know what caused this happen, it’s Windows anyway and apparently i’m not the only one who facing this problem.
However, i found this simple workaround, which is create a shortcut on your desktop to open the Safely Remove Hardware menu, this is how you do it:-
- On your desktop, right click then choose New > Shortcuts after that copy and paste the following:
%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
- Press next, you will be ask to give a name for your shortcut, any name will do, or just name it Safely Remove Hardware, then press finish.
That’s it! You are done, the shortcut should appear on your desktop. But for now you probably in love with your new shortcut, so you feel like want to make it fancier a bit, and here is how you can add an icon for it:-
- Right click on your shortcut then choose Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tabs and click on the button Change Icon….
- A menu should appear with a bunch of icon for you to choose, you can pick any icon from here OR you may paste the following and press enter for the Windows Safely Remove Hardware icon.
Hope this helps. 🙂